NEW YORK CITY — United Methodist Women (UMW) and the General Board of Church & Society (GBCS) are among sponsors of a panel discussion “Overcoming the Pain of Abuse & Violence Against Women & Girls” Friday, March 8.
The panel will take place in the chapel of the Church Center for the United Nations at 12:30 p.m.
The center, owned by UMW, is across the street from the United Nations, which will be conducting the 57th session of the Commission on the Status of Women from March 4-15.
The panel will address the elimination and prevention of violence and abuse against women and girls.
Other sponsors of the event are Dianova, a non-profit organization whose mission is to strengthen communities by delivering experiential education programs that encourage academic and personal development, and Freedom from Fistula Foundation, which addresses obstetric fistula caused by prolonged, obstructed childbirth and lack of access to maternity care affecting an estimated 2 million women.
Panelists, coming from Chile, Japan, Spain, United Kingdom and the United States, will discuss violence and abuse occurring in different settings and social groupings.
The panel will emphasize the importance of coordination and collaboration among public and governmental agencies, civic organizations and non-governmental groups in addressing interrelated issues around violence and abuse against women and girls.
Public policy and faith and ethical perspectives will be explored, showing how advocacy and organizing for social change can eliminate and prevent abuse and violence against women and girls.
Panelists and their topics are as follows:
- The Rev. Amee Paparella, who directs Women’s Advocacy at GBCS, will present “Violence Against Women & Girls: “A Faith Perspective.”
- Junko Miyamoto of the Kyofukai Women’s Organization in Japan, will discuss “The Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children.” She appears under auspices of United Methodist Women.
- Francisca Albuquerque Goerlt of Dianova USA and Sandra Nencetti of Dianova Chile will present “The Elimination of Violence Against Women & Girls.”
- Lois Boyle of Freedom from Fistula Foundation, will address “Fistula: The Hidden Abuse of Women & Girls.”
- Elena Goti of Dianova International, Spain) will serve as moderator.
For more details, contact the Rev. Liberato Bautista, director of GBCS’s United Nations & International Affairs office, (212) 973-1702, ext. 3125.