WASHINGTON, D.C. — The General Board of Church & Society (GBCS) seeks a Seminar Designer for United Methodist Seminar Program on National & International Affairs. Primary job is to design and implement seminars that engage members of The United Methodist Church to integrate their faith with John Wesley's commitment to actively participating in society.
Designer works with leaders of seminar groups to put together ... interactive agenda based on the geography and demographics of the participants.
The seminar designer works with leaders of seminar groups to put together an engaging, educational, and interactive agenda based on the geography and demographics of the participants. The group chooses its social issue to focus on, and the designer brings speakers and workshop leaders from a wide range of faith-based and secular organizations in Washington, D.C., to give participants a unique view on the topic.
This is an exempt program staff position of the agency and will serve with colleagues under the supervision of the Assistant General Secretary for the Ministry of Education & Leadership Formation (ELF.)
Duties and responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Develop experiential models for social-justice ministries from a Christian perspective.
- Collaborate with GBCS organizing, advocacy and U.N. staff, and other agencies of the denomination to enhance integrating social justice into initiatives throughout The United Methodist Church.
- Recruit seminar groups through these relationships.
- Develop and maintain a reservoir of information such as a speakers' pool, lists of creative activities, simulations, community-building techniques and field-trip locations to be used in seminars.
- Research and develop new exercises, tools and resources for the many groups that come for recurring years.
- Produce timely educational resources for use by local churches.
Minimum requirement is a Bachelors degree in Education, Training, Theology or related area; a Masters Degree highly desirable. Six or more years of similar experience required.
This is a full-time position with 10-15% travel. The position is located in Washington, D.C. Annual salary of $80,975, plus benefits.
A full job description can be downloaded from the GBCS website at Seminar Designer.
The General Board of Church & Society is one of four international general program boards of The United Methodist Church. Prime responsibility of the board is to seek implementation of the Social Principles and other policy statements on Christian social concerns of the General Conference, the denomination’s highest policy-making body. The board’s primary areas of ministry are Advocacy, Education & Leadership Formation, United Nations & International Affairs, and resourcing these areas for the denomination. It has offices on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., and at the Church Center for the United Nations in New York City.
Procedure to apply
Send a cover letter, resume with three professional references by Aug. 30 to:
General Board of Church and Society,
Attn: The Rev. Neal Christie
100 Maryland Avenue NE
Washington, DC 20002
Or send email to email@example.com.
Incomplete applicant information will not be considered.
The General Board of Church & Society is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, age, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status. Denominational membership is not required.